FC4 sendmail user mail file missing

David Niemi drn_temp2 at rogers.com
Sun Jul 3 14:36:05 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-07 at 15:47 +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am So, den 03.07.2005 schrieb David Niemi um 14:11:

> So you have no network, thus no static or dynamic IP address? Then it
> should look like
>
> 127.0.0.1      me.mynetwork localhost.localdomain me localhost
>
> Else set "me.mynetwork   me" for the non-loopback IP.
>
> > $ echo '$=w' | /usr/lib/sendmail -bt
> > ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
> > Enter <ruleset> <address>
> > > me.mynetwork
> > localhost.localdomain
> > me
> > localhost
> > [127.0.0.1]
>
> Ok, indicates that you really have only the loopback network device and
> no other IP than 127.0.0.1.
>
> > I had made the additions to /etc/mail/access with the RELAY option, but

> local-host-names is a flat, plain text file and only lists additional
> hostnames. Each hostname in a separate line. "RELAY" settings only
> belong to the access_db (filename "access", hashed map to be created
> afterwards).
>
> > The user name in question is more appropriately "DaveN".  I don't like
>
> Ok, here we have the trouble maker: Don't use capital letters in user
> names!
>
> http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.17

I do have dhcp provided by my router at the moment so there is another
IP assigned 192.168.0.185 on the internal network.  I'll change the
hosts entry, I wasn't too sure at the time if I should do it this way or
not.  I use this particular PC as a firewall and dhcp server, so it is
kind of on a network, the IP is assigned by my ISP dynamically, ergo my
confusion

Is there a way to modify the user name to lower case? Otherwise I'll
just add the same user with all lowercase and see how things go.  I had
thought briefly that this may be the issue but hadn't see anything.

Thanks again.
  Dave