Advice Please: DVI / Gigabit / SATA

Klaasjan Brand klaasjan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 15:28:24 UTC 2005

On 7/2/05, Ryan D'Baisse <ryan.dbaisse at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been tempted to install FC4 on a new machine I just built.  However,
> there are a few items that I am new to and was curious about the success of
> Linux with them.

As a general rule it's better to check if the hardware you're about to
buy works with the OS you'd like to run beforehand...

> Here's the configuration...
>

>     ASUS A7N8XAE Motherboard (embedded everything... USB, FireWire, etc.)
> AMD Athlon XP 3000+
>     1GB PC3200

That's an nforce board. Works for the most part, although I guess the
soundstorm features are only available with a binary driver from
nvidia...

> Now, in one way or another, I am new to the following devices...
>
>     ATI Radeon 9550 DVI ... my first DVI card
>     20" Apple Cinema Display ... never touched an Apple display on any
> machine other than Apple

No idea if the dvi will work on xorg using the open source drivers...
if not or if you want to use the 3d features you'll have to install
the binary ati drivers.

>     Plextor DVD+/-RW ... never dealt with Plextor nor the "+" versions of
> anything

If that's the standard ide version it'll work. The sata version has
problems on linux.

>     Marvell Yukon 88E8001 PCI Gigabit ... my first Gigabit adapter / no clue
> who Marvell is

Neither do I, but the adapter works fine on both my machines that have
them. You won't get full gigabit speeds since it's located on the pci
bus which can't keep up.

>     Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter with SpeedBooster ... never tried a PCI
> Linksys on Linux

Neither do I...

>     Maxtor 6 Y120M0 SATA Hard Drive ... my first SATA drive in any machine

If the nforce sata driver works the disk will work.

Klaasjan