Another WiFi question...

radioact1ve radioact1ve at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 20:40:08 UTC 2005

> Hmm, okay, I don't think we are on the same page here.  If you turn
> off WEP (different from the "open" option) then you need to issue:
> # iwconfig wlan0 key off
> to turn off WEP for the card.  There are two types of authentication
> used for WEP: restricted and open.  If your AP is set for open, then
> you need to set your card to that, and vice-versa.  So let's get
> everything together here.  Turn off WEP on your AP and make sure you
> have no WEP key set for your card.  Once you associate, then you can
> turn WEP back on and set the key and mode like:
> # iwconfig wlan0 key open XXX...
> (or change open to restricted if your AP is set to that).

Oops, sorry about that. I understand now. Iturned off WEP on both...
the right way with iwconfig wlan0 key off. And it works! When there is
no WEP, I'm surfing the web. Excellent! But when I turn on WEP... I go
back to the same $h!t. One thing I'm not sure about is which one to
use. 'Open' or 'restricted'. Im using a netgear router and the the
only options it has is Automatic, open system, or shared keys. Those
are my "Authentication Type" options that my AP has. I currently have
them set to automatic (on the AP) but i did try open and other
combinations to know luck. No clue here and since I'm off to work
right now, cant google this.

> Strange, I've not had any problems.  Fedora has been rock solid for
> me.  I do tend to use Windows more than Linux, though, but I used FC2
> a lot when I first got it.

It's just me and my luck. Since I'm still learning the whole Linux
thing, I just want to foucs on 32 where I haven't had any problems...
or at least serious ones ;). Soon or later I WILL got to 64. I did buy
it for a reason.

> Hmm, that could be a problem.  There are particular drivers that work
> best with ndiswrapper.  Check out the ndiswrapper site and find the
> drivers that it points to and try them.  That could be the reason you
> are getting the above error.

Its the same driver they list there. Same and extension. And its OK
like I said above, WEP turned off it works! 8)

Any clues on how to turn WEP back on? Thanks!

--
- radioact1ve
radioact1ve at gmail.com
http://radioact1ve.blogspot.com/