FC4 problems

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Jul 3 22:26:16 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 17:49 -0400, Pierre_Lamb at glic.com wrote:

> Why run memtest?? Does FC4 use memory differently than FC3??? FC3 ran
> with no problems

When you have a random error that talks about corruption - eliminating
hardware problems is the first thing you want to do.

Red Hat 7.2 ran perfectly for me.
I installed RH 8 - and was getting random lockups, usually in
XScreensaver. So I disabled XScreensaver - still got random lockups,
though not as often - filed bugs for the video driver, as I was
convinced that was it - box had been perfect in RH 7.2

Then one day it just stopped booting.

Same RH8 install, same ram, same video card, new mobo but same chipset -
new cpu but same specs - and it ran perfectly. The issue was clearly
with my cpu/mobo and not RH8.

It's just a good idea to eliminate hardware as the culprit if you can -
especially with a random occurring error.