GRUB and the last FC4 kernel

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jul 4 18:46:26 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 11:29 -0700, Hoffmann wrote:
> I have updating to the last FC4 kernel. However, after
> that, I realized that the not only the previous FC4
> kernel, but also, the last one are present on GRUP. I
> meanm during the booting process, I see the following
> on GRUB:
>
> (a) The last FC4 kernel;
> (b) The previous FC4 kernel;
> (c) Windows xp;
> (d) Other.
>
> How could I remove the previous FC4 kernel from GRUB,
> so? Is it safe to do that?

It's safe to remove kernels that you aren't running. This is why yum
*installs* rather than *updates* kernel packages.

After booting using the new kernel, you can remove the old one.

e.g.
# rpm -q kernel
kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
kernel-2.6.12-1.1387_FC4
# uname -r
2.6.12-1.1387_FC4

The "uname" command above shows which kernel you are currently running.
You can safely remove any other kernel, e.g.

# rpm -e kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4

This will remove that version of the kernel, all of its modules, and the
associated entry from your bootloader configuration file (usually grub).

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>