external USB Drive

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Jul 5 03:52:25 UTC 2005

Kevin Waterson wrote:

>This one time, at band camp, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>If you are plugging in the USB drive after you are in the GUI, it will
>>inherit the GUI user. (console user). If you want to make the VFAT
>>readable by other than the user you need to pick a mountpoint and use
>>umask settings in the config file where the drive is mounted. You can
>>select users for everybody to be able to access it. The other
>>permissions are set when you plug in the USB drive by programs included
>>with Fedora to mount drives. chmodding even as root is not a function.
>>

>I have the the USB drive (250gig) plugged in when booting.
>I then mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/windows-g
>The drive is formatted fat32.
>How can I use umask in a config file to change this?
>
>Kind regards
>Kevin

I searched for links and Debian seems to have a good page for umask
settings and others. They even seem to have mention for removable
devices. The masking settings are inverse from the settings permissions.
0 is equiv to 7 and visa-versa. 002 would give group and owner the
control depending on other settings.

The best link that I found was below;
Which says that they had a good source from:
http://www.greenfly.org/tips/autofs.html

Jim