Supermount -- Advisable?

Benjamin Sher delphi123 at zebra.net
Tue Jul 5 10:18:33 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 11:04 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Benjamin Sher wrote:
> > Paul Howarth wrote:

> >> You shouldn't need to do this because it should already be mounted.
> >>
> >> When you say "It's working fine in the console", what do you mean?
> >>

> > What I mean is that I can mount and open the files on my data CD by typing:
> >
> > #mount /dev/hdc -t iso9660 /media/cdrecorder
> >
> > Then I can cd to the /media/cdrecorder directory and see and manipulate
> > my subdirectories and files.
> >
> > If I try to access my data CD using the File Manager as Root, it will
> > not work (I get a crash sound) UNTIL I first mount it in the console as
> > above. Then, after mounting it, I can access my files either in the
> > console (as above) or by using the File Manager as Root.
>
> OK; what I've been saying is that you should not need to mount the
> filesystem yourself at all. Fedora should detect that you have inserted
> media and do the mount for you.
>
> What's in your /etc/fstab?
>
> Do any messages appear in /var/log/messages when you insert a data CD?
>
> Paul.

Dear Paul:

If you wish, I can send you the /var/log/messages file off list.

Here is my fstab:

[sher at localhost ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults
1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults
1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620
0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults
0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults
0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults
0 0
/dev/hdd                            /media/cdrom auto
noauto,user,exec,ro 0 0
/dev/hdc                            /media/cdrecorder
autonoauto,user,exec,ro 0 0
/dev/sda4               /media/IOMEGA           vfat
pamconsole,noatime,sync,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,exec,noauto,managed 0
0
[sher at localhost ~]$

Benjamin