Printer sharing

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jul 5 17:38:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 12:38, Lonnie Freeman wrote:
> I have ran into a problem that is a bit perplexing but hasn't been a real issue until last weekend.
> I have a small network with 3 printers.  I can share the printer on FC3 and Win 98.  The printer on XP will share with the win98 computer but NOT with linux...any suggestions?
> This was not a problem until I got a wide carriage printer that needs to be on the XP computer.  I have tried everything I know (which isn't much), checked CUPS files and Samba config and everything seems to be OK.  All computers share files with no problem and will ping back and forth.  The printer shows up as set up in the RedHat printer config, and a test page shows as sent but it doesn't print.  The workaround thus far is print to a file, then print the file from the XPos.
> Any suggestions?

If you are trying to share a printer connected to a windows system to
linux systems you should setup the windows system to use lpr.  I have
done this on a Windows 2000 system.  Go to control panel --> network and
dialup, select the advanced menu item and then select the Optional
networking components.  In that window select Other network file and
print services.

Once that is all setup then in system-config-printer tool select network
LPR print queue and setup the remote printer.  Use the IP address of the
windows box and the name of the queue.

This appears to work much better than trying to use samba.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

My face is new, my license is expired, and I'm under a doctor's care!!!!