VMWare -> Physical Box

Philipp Ott philipp.ott at avalon.at
Tue Jul 5 17:54:07 UTC 2005

Hi!

>From: "Ryan D'Baisse" <ryan.dbaisse at gmail.com>
>Subject: VMWare -> Physical Box
>How feasible do you think it would be to pull the contents from a VMWare
>virtual drive onto a physical drive and have it function properly?  I have a
>development VM that I use with FC4 and it works perfectly.  All of my apps
>and settings are just right.  It would be great to be able to pull that VM
>out of VMWare and make it live.

What OS do you run inside VMware? Windows or Linux?

If Windows it might work using a software like Norton Ghost. I think you
can can mount a physical drive into VMware as a secondary drive. Then
you would boot with the Ghost floppy disk and run an image copy from the
virtual drive to the physical drive. However I dont think that Windows
installation will boot then successfully because of the VMware drivers
and I dont think a Windows Boot CD (W2K oder WXP) would bootfix this
then... The last OS from Microsoft that was surviving motherboard
changes best was NT 3.51 :-)

Linux should work though and you wont need Ghost. Booting with some
linux rescue / live CD in VMware you would create partitions (boot,
root) on the second drive and then mount the first harddisk, cp -ax the
files from the virtual drive onto the physical one and then take care of
the boot loader and the boot partition with the kernel image.

Any other OS i have no idea about :-)

Regards,
Philipp Ott