FC3 Print Sharing

Steve Croteau stevecroteau at comcast.net
Tue Jul 5 23:37:30 UTC 2005

Greetings All,
I still can't figure out what in my mind should be a simple task.  I'm still
struggling to share an HP 5550 deskjet with another FC3 box, both connected
to a Netgear router/firewall.

I tried tweaking just about everything I could find under the gnome print
configuration window.  I've tried disabling SELinux, and the FC3 firewall in
order to detect a cups queue but no luck.

The local USB printer was automatically detected by box #1, the only thing I
had to adjust was the sharing.  I set it to share to network address
192.168.0.3/255.255.255.0.  Nothing!  I can't get box #2 to see a browsed
queue.

Do I need to have 631:udp listed in 'other ports' under the firewall setting
in 'security level'?  I even tried opening port 631 on the router.  I
previously used SuSE 9.1 before I came back to Fedora.  It was super easy in
SuSE but I really want to stay with FC3.  This is the only configuration
problem I'm having.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Remember, type slowly and
clearly because even though I've been using this for a while I still consider
myself a newbie.  Thanks!!!

Steve Croteau