nvidia-driver for fedora core 4

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 23:57:32 UTC 2005

On 7/5/05, Scott Jan <jscott at skynet.be> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 20:38 +0200, Øyvind Stegard wrote:
> > Scott Jan wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Has anyone using fedora core 4 installed the nvidia driver?
> > >
> > > Jan
>
> > Didn't have to fiddle with any udev things to get device nodes, either,
> > it Just Worked. Nice.
>
> My computer seems to be in an idle state at boot time for about 30
> seconds. I can't see that this new driver has improved things.

I don't think that's related to the nvidia driver -- at least I
haven't seen any boot slowdown since installing it.  As to what
improvement there is with the nvidia driver, well, in my case it's
basically mandatory if I want to use my dualhead motherboard in
dualhead mode -- the nv driver doesn't support that, so it's not
usable for me.

> Is there anything that I still have to do, e.g. putting selinux = 0 ?

SELinux shouldn't affect the nvidia driver, but I don't run selinux on
my desktop, so I can't say for certain.

Essentially, if the nv driver works for you and you have no compelling
reason to use the nvidia driver as I do, I wouldn't bother with it.
The nvidia driver is only helpful if you want 3D performance or
dualhead performance from a dualhead-capable card.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs      / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves