FC3 Print Sharing

Steve Croteau stevecroteau at comcast.net
Wed Jul 6 17:04:20 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 06 July 2005 3:42 am, Bob Chiodini wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 16:37 -0700, Steve Croteau wrote:
> > Greetings All,
> > I still can't figure out what in my mind should be a simple task.  I'm
> > still struggling to share an HP 5550 deskjet with another FC3 box, both
> > connected to a Netgear router/firewall.
> >
> > I tried tweaking just about everything I could find under the gnome print
> > configuration window.  I've tried disabling SELinux, and the FC3 firewall
> > in order to detect a cups queue but no luck.
> >
> > The local USB printer was automatically detected by box #1, the only
> > thing I had to adjust was the sharing.  I set it to share to network
> > address 192.168.0.3/255.255.255.0.  Nothing!  I can't get box #2 to see a
> > browsed queue.
> >
> > Do I need to have 631:udp listed in 'other ports' under the firewall
> > setting in 'security level'?  I even tried opening port 631 on the
> > router.  I previously used SuSE 9.1 before I came back to Fedora.  It was
> > super easy in SuSE but I really want to stay with FC3.  This is the only
> > configuration problem I'm having.
> >
> > Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Remember, type slowly and
> > clearly because even though I've been using this for a while I still
> > consider myself a newbie.  Thanks!!!
> >
> > Steve Croteau
>
> Steve,
>
> I'm running FC3, no firewall, connected to a Cisco switch, not that much
> different than yours.  I have two remote printers configured on my local
> host as shared to all.  If I go to another linux box (running rawhide),
> I can open a browser to localhost:631 and see the printers shared from
> the first box.  I printed a test page to test their availability without
> problems.
>
> What do you see on Box #2 if you run firefox localhost:631?  cupsd must
> be running on Box #2 and port 631 should be open through its firewall as
> in Box #1.
>
> Bob...

Bob,
Thank you for jumping in!  On both computers I've opened up port "631:udp" in
'other ports' under 'Security Level' in the Gnome application menu.  Firewall
is active on both boxes, so is SE Linux.

When I open up http://localhost:631 on box #1, I see the locally connected HP
as device URI: usb:/dev/usb/lp0.  Test page worked fine.

When I open up http://localhost:631 on box #2, I see "No printers".

I have not specifically opened up port 631 on the Netgear FVS 318 router at
this time.  I guess because I didn't need to do that when I played with SuSE
9.1.

Steve