The "Make Install" command does not work ... Why?

Whenever I type: make install  or  make <whatever>

I get the following error message "   *** No rule to make target 'install'. Stop.   "

What does this mean and how can get the make command to work correctly?

I'm using the latest stable release of Fedora Core 4.