FC4: zip-drive not working

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Thu Jul 7 03:06:25 UTC 2005

Jan Scott wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 11:56 -0700, Scott Talbot wrote:
>

>>H.Breimer wrote:
>>

>>>Last month on FC3 I made my updates on a zip-drive that has always
>>>worked.
>>>Now, moved over to FC4, no luck.
>>>
>>>"Unable to mount the selected volume.
>>>
>>>mount could not determine the
>>>filesystem type, and none was specified"
>>>
>>>lspci, lshal, fstab, udev and nautilus show signs of recognizing my
>>>IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI.
>>>
>>>google did not help. For bugzilla I would not know where to look.
>>>
>>>Hint anyone?
>>>thx Henk
>>>

>>    You have not said what you're trying. i.e. are you trying to mount
>>from within the computer:/// in Nautilus or from the command line?
>>    I am also having trouble mounting from Nautilus, but I can mount using :
>>mount /dev/hdb4 /media/zip
>>
>>Try this: With a disk in the Zip drive:
>>sudo /sbin/fdisk -l   # use su if you have not set up sudoers file for
>>yourself
>>
>>You should get a list of all ATA and scsi disks/partitions.  Find your
>>Zip on this list and note which partitions are available. Then mount
>>that partition.  IOMEGA Zip format tools default to 1 partition number
>>4, but if you have a disk formatted by Linux or windows or whatever, it
>>may not be formatted that way.  Once you know what partition and dev you
>>could mount it manually or edit your /etc/fstab to make it work.
>>
>>Scott
>>

>Thanks to these hints I was able to mount my zip drive. I use fedora
>core 4.
>I did the following:
>
>I looked into the /dev folder and found a device hdb
>As root I did /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hdb I got:
>
>[root at localhost Jan]# /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hdb
>
>Disk /dev/hdb: 100 MB, 100663296 bytes
>64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 96 cylinders
>Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes
>
>   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>/dev/hdb4   *           1          96       98288    6  FAT16
>
>then mkdir /mnt/zip
>
>Then finally
>
>[root at localhost Jan]# mount -t vfat /dev/hdb4 /mnt/zip
>
>I could start reading /mnt/zip.
>
>Jan
>
>PS What to do for automounting this at boot?

    The answer to this must be within hotplug and / or udev.  Since I
really don't use the Zip much, I haven't looked into it myself.
    Do you boot up with a disk in the drive? once upon a time I did
this, and it automounted for me (This was probably FC2 though).  I tried
it the other day, and the disk was formatted so poorly that it halted my
boot, saying that the device said I could store 250Mb, but that the disk
reported more  or less than that.

    I guess I'll get to work on that, now that I'm sufficiently bugged!
Let me know if you have any luck!

Scott