Compaq WIFI card not recognized by FC4

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 03:12:21 UTC 2005

On 7/6/05, Lovell Mcilwain <lovell.mcilwain at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jonathan Berry wrote:
> > On 7/6/05, Lovell Mcilwain <lovell.mcilwain at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>I am running the most up-to-date kernel (I basically did a yum update for everything in fc4 to be
> >>current on it all when I first loaded it on my system)
> >>[root at Whistler broadcomwifidriver]# uname -r
> >>2.6.12-1.1387_FC4
> >>
> >>When I ran your command I got the following:
> >>[root at Whistler broadcomwifidriver]# yum list kernel-module-ndiswrapper
> >>Setting up repositories
> >>livna                     100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> >>updates-released          100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> >>extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
> >>base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
> >>Reading repository metadata in from local files
> >

> > If you read really closely, you'll see that the command I wrote was:
> > yum list "kernel-module-ndiswrapper*"
> >
> > Notice the quotes and the *.  You have to give it the kernel version
> > as well.  The * matches anything else so you will see all the kernel
> > versions.  Regardless, since you are up-to-date, you can just run the
> > other command I gave you.
> >
> > yum install kernel-module-ndiswrapper-2.6.12-1.1387_FC4
> >
> > By the way, the practice on this list is not to "top post" (meaning
> > putting your reply above what you are replying to).  It's preferred if
> > you place your reply inline (like I have done) or below the original
> > text.  This makes it easier to see the discussion flow.
> >
> > Jonathan
> >
> > [snip]
> > [references]

> Thanks for the insight on the post rules, sorry for the violation.  For whatever reason whenever I

No problem.

> ran that command that you gave me it wouldn't install properly but once I rebooted my machine it
> actually worked.  Im not sure why rebooting worked but Im happy that it does.

Quite strange indeed.  But, hey, if it's working...

> So I ran I have started on my last few commands:
> [root at Whistler scripts]# modprobe ndiswrapper
> [root at Whistler scripts]# iwconfig wlan0 essid ***
> [root at Whistler scripts]# iwconfig wlan0 key ****
> [root at Whistler scripts]# dhcpcd wlan0
> -bash: dhcpd: command not found
>
> So now I'm wondering did I type this command wrong?

On Fedora it's called "dhclient" instead of "dhcpd"  Not sure why,
perhaps it is different.  Running "dhclient wlan0" should get you in
business, assuming everything else is correct.  You probably should
check your auth settings for WEP.  If you are using open
authentication you will need to change your key command to:
iwconfig key open ****
If you are used restricted (also called shared key) authentication,
then the default is fine.  You can run just "iwconfig" to see if you
have associated with your AP (if you see the essid, then you have
associated).

Jonathan