Compaq WIFI card not recognized by FC4

Lovell Mcilwain lovell.mcilwain at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 04:18:55 UTC 2005

Jonathan Berry wrote:
> On 7/6/05, Lovell Mcilwain <lovell.mcilwain at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> Also, it's good practice to trim irrelevant info from replies :).
>

>>Thanks for all of you help, I would have not been able to get this far without it.
>

> No problem, glad to help.
>

>>I did have one last question maybe you could help me with:
>>
>>1. Because I am using ndiswrapper does this mean that I have to do this through the command line
>>each time I want to authenticate to a network.
>>
>>Note: I ask this because when I look at the network cards through the gui this card doesn't show up,
>>just my internal network card that was discovered natively.
>

> Really?  Works for me.  Go to Desktop->System Settings->Network, then
> click New select Wireless connection then click Forward, and there it
> is, ndiswrapper (wlan0).  I don't use wireless enough to really set it
> up this way yet.  I just put all the necessary commands in a little
> script for when I want to use it.
>

>>2. If I do use authenticate to another essid with another encryption key, will the one that I
>>entered for my network be wiped out? or will it be retained?
>

> I think you will need to re-set your WEP key when you change back.
> I'm not sure if there is a way to store multiple, at least not with
> iwconfig alone.  What I do is have the key in a file and run:
>
> iwconfig wlan0 key `cat key.txt`
>
> Those are "back-ticks" around the cat key.txt (un-shifted tilda ~).
> Sure beats having to type it in every time.  And definitely beats
> Windows XP where you have to enter it *twice* in the blind
> (thankfully, you only have to do that once) :).  The Network
> configuration app has a thing called Profiles that you might be able
> to setup to switch between networks.  What you probably want is
> provided by something called NetworkManager.  It's a very new app,
> though, but I think it is a lot more stable than it was.  I haven't
> tried doing anything with it, but I think it is supposed to make
> networking between wired and multiple wireless networks more like in
> Windows where you can change things easily.  Linux is still growing
> into the laptop market where these kinds of features are needed.  One
> day I'll get it all working.  For now, commands and scripts are good
> enough for me.
>
> Jonathan

Thanks for that tip as well.  I actually went into the network settings and I tried to create the
new wireless device and all I saw was other card.  I am going to see if I can find some other way to
get it in there.   I did create a script with the last few commands for now since once I reboot
everything goes away anyway.  Since you don't do wireless to often it maybe something outside of
what you know :) but you got me a lot further then I would have been able to get on my own thats for
sure.