simple ping; pinging 101

THUFIR HAWAT hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 05:41:51 UTC 2005

On 7/6/05, Lai Zit Seng <lzs at pobox.com> wrote:
> Nothing's wrong with the experiment. You just can't do it like this :)
> Ok, I'll cut short my reply since many others have followed-up.
>
> It looks to me like you're trying to have "redundant" network
> connections for, perhaps, high-availability reasons. I.e. you still have
> network access should one link fail.

sorry to have given that impression, I'm not trying for redundant
network connections.  I suppose I'm just gathering data in order to
learn about ping.

glad to know that my experiment is doomed to failure, that's valuable
data (err, that might sound sarcastic but I'm serious).

since the experiment is flawed, I'll drop it in favor of two
experiments.  experiments #1 and #2 are, lets say, unrelated to each
other.

experiment #1:

ping from the arrakis built-in NIC to caladan.

experiment #2:

ping from the arrakis D-Link NIC to caladan.

there are obvious similarities, but for my purposes the experiments
are totally independant of each other.

All I'm looking for at this stage is to be able to reproduce the
(succesful) results.  is that a better approach?

thanks,

Thufir