writing ISO's

  Hi,
 In short I must say, I've downloaded the ISO's and have 2 problems :
1)  I don't know how to check the integrity of them; I mean how to check
     the SHA1 checksums. [There's just a windows XP installed on my
     PC]
2)  Is any difference between writing an ISO and writing a common file?
     if not, should I first extract them [they have a winrar extention] to the
     CD or what?
   Thanks in advance