Unable to print from windozXP to FC4 cups printer

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov
Thu Jul 7 18:22:07 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 18:31 -0400, Tom Broadhurst wrote:
> > Am Di, den 05.07.2005 schrieb Tom Broadhurst um 21:55:

> > > When I set-up the printer on windoz, it seems to go OK, but
> > the printer
> > > status is "Access denied, unable to connect".

Had a similar problem and found the solution to be
in /etc/samba/smb.conf.  Here's my current printers stanza:

[printers]
        comment = All Beech CUPS Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        public = Yes
        printable = Yes
        browseable = Yes
        map to guest = bad user
        use client driver = yes

I believe the key to be the "client driver" bit.

> > > Deny From All
> > > Allow From 127.0.0.1
> >
> > Here you say that only localhost is allowed to use "laser".
> >

> But, 2 lines down it says Allow from All.
> I didn't put these here. It's auto generated
>
> The queue is labeled "laser", Locally-connected to device /dev/lp0.
> On the Sharing page/popup it says This queue is available to other computers
> and the Allowed hosts says "All hosts".
> Can I edit this file manually? If so how do I keep printconf from changing
> it.

This is a continuing PITA.  Advice I got from a Red Hat guy on an
earlier thread when I voiced a similar complaint was "rpm -e system-
config-printer" but that seems like a cop-out.  If anyone knows a more
elegant way to avoid clobbering of manual CUPS changes, please post the
solution.  I've found that CUPS does not work in a non-trivial
environment without some fiddling, and have learned the hard way to
always back up cupsd.conf before meddling with anything printer-related.

> > > AuthType None
> > > Allow from All

That would seem to do it, however, you might want to limit it to local
machines with a subnet mask:

Allow From 192.168.1.0/24
Allow From 128.156.0.0/16
Or whatever...