FC4: zip-drive not working

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Fri Jul 8 06:12:03 UTC 2005

Much stuff deleted
Noel Hall wrote:

>I have a iomega 250 zip drive.
>These are lines from my messages file:
>	added mount point /media/floppy for /dev/fd0
>***	added mount point /media/zip for /dev/hdd4
>	added mount point /media/cdrecorder for /dev/hdc
>	added mount point /media/cdrom for /dev/hdb

    Note that it (udev) adds the hdd4, which is the way IOMEGA
apparently wanted it

>With a zip disk in the drive, I use the command:
>'mount /dev/hdd /media/zip' to access my zip drive

    This says to me that your zip disk was not partitioned.  Check it
using fdisk, I bet there is no partition, just the filesystem.  That is
fine with me, but if it had 1 partition numbered 4, I think that hotplug
would automount it the same way that my usb flash memory is added,
though I have yet to make that work!

>If I use a similar command to what you used:
>'mount /dev/hdd4 /media/zip' it doesn't work and I get the same error
>message.

    Certainly if there is no partition 4 on your zip drive hdd4, mount
can't mount it.

I can make no recommendations ATM, but there should be some way to fix this!  I'll keep hacking away at udev and hotplug, but so far no luck with either.

Scott