RE: instalation on USB-less and CD-less machines

At 11:45 AM -0500 7/8/05, STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) wrote:

>> How expensive is it to get a used CD drive and do the install
>> one-by-one, moving it around?
>>
>A lot of these old machines will not boot from CD even if one
>is installed.  I tried various combinations of a boot floppy
>which would transfer control to a boot CD without much luck
>and eventually did something else.
>
>Maybe someone else has build a boot floppy which would transfer
>control to the boot CD.

What happens if the boot floppy contains just a grub bootsector pointing to
the CD?  (I don't know, I'm asking.)  I think that would qualify as booting
from the floppy as far as the BIOS is concerned.  I expect that the CD
would have to be set up for grub booting for this to work, however.