Mplayer Frustrations

Richard Kelsch rich at csst.net
Fri Jul 8 18:12:34 UTC 2005

C.Beamer wrote:

>Thanks for trying.  First, I'm just a user.  I wouldn't no where to look
>for mplayer output.  Second, when I removed the mplayer installation
>that I did using yum, I installed everything from source that I
>downloaded from the Mplayer site, including the codecs.  I had the same
>problem, no matter which way I installed.  Third, I did try puting the
>codes in /usr/local/lib/win32/  but that didn't work either.
>
>So, essentially, I'm still butting my head against a brick wall.
>However, thanks for the suggestion - you never know, it might have been
>the one that worked!  It just wasn't this time.  :-)
>
>Take care,
>
>Colleen

To view the error output do the following (make sure you have mplayer
still installed, I recommend via yum):

*  Right-hand click on the desktop to bring up the popup menu
*  Click on "Open Terminal"
*  Type (in the new terminal, and without the quotes) "gmplayer"
*  Try to play your video.
*  Stop after a few seconds.
*  Exit mplayer

Now, you'll notice that, within the terminal window (make it fullscreen
for easy reading), Mplayer has told you everything it had problems
with.  Copy that text and paste it in your next email here.  That will
give us an idea on what is happening.  Also, let us know what video card
your computer is using as well.

Generally, the fix for Mplayer is to simply tell it to use a different
method of showing the display.  So don't despair.

Incidentally, have you tried "Xine" (a different media player) as well?

Rich