FC4 Boot Floppy / Network Install

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Jul 9 00:49:19 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 09.07.2005 schrieb Ryan D'Baisse um 2:40:

No HTML formatted list mails please. Thanks.

> Newbie here... be gentle...

Welcome :)

> I have a 1.2GHz laptop that I would like to run FC4 on (well,
> truthfully, I just want to get rid of XP).  The CD/DVD drive is on its
> way out and the wired RJ-45 is destroyed.  The only NIC that exists
> for it is an after-market Linksys PCMCIA 54g (which worked quite well
> on it previously).  I need to find a way to either boot from a floppy,
> or a VERY minimal boot CD, and then do a server-based install.  In
> fact, it would be GREAT if it were possible to do an install from a
> FTP server, similar to how FreeBSD does it.

> -- Ryan

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc4/sn-before-begin.html#sn-installing-networkinstallation
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc4/ch-other-install-methods.html

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/os/images/boot.iso
   this is a small CD image of 6.4M size for network installation

The problem is you NIC. The Linksys has (I am sure) no Linux drivers.
Maybe you can get a different NIC from a friend for the time of
installation.

Alexander

Serendipity 02:44:36 up 13 days, 9:36, load average: 0.72, 0.49, 0.40