Re: simple ping; pinging 101

THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
On 7/6/05, Scot L. Harris <webid cfl rr com> wrote:

The real question here is what are you trying to do?

looking at
<http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Masquerading-Simple-HOWTO/intro.html>

I've changed the IP addresses as follows:

arrakis eth0 123.12.23.43

arrakis eth0 192.168.1.1

would have suffuced....

arrakis eth1	192.168.0.1
caladan eth0	192.168.0.2

Connect arrakis eth1 and caladan eth0 to the hub only. If you've done it right, you should be able to ping both machines from each other....

to be able connect arrakis eth0 to the hub, ping caladan, disconnect arrakis eth0 from the hub, connect arrakis eth1 to the hub, ping caladan, repeat..

to do do that, is a default gateway required?

No, worry about the default gateway (and forwarding) after your local subnet is working.

I'm just taking this one very small step at a time.

thanks,

Thufir

--
Kevin J. Cummings