Mplayer Frustrations - Getting Closer

C.Beamer cbeamer at interlynx.net
Sat Jul 9 03:50:10 UTC 2005

Kenny Gow wrote:

> Anyway, a bit of digging around revealed that the CNN video wants
> to use the WMV 9 codec. And, I just happened to have another PC
> that I put FC4 on and installed mplayer from livna as you did. I
> got the same problem as you did on this other PC when trying to
> play CNN videos: audio, but no video.
>
> The short story is that the livna mplayer packages do not install
> the WMV codecs you need, specifically, the wmv9dmod.dll codec.
>
> There are a couple of ways to get the codecs you need and install
> them to the right place.
>
> On the mplayer codecs page,
>
> http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/codecs.html

Tried this and installed per instructions from a previous post to this
thread creating the sym links as outlined.

> it can be confusing which pack to get. The easiest choice is the
> "all" pack which contains all the codecs.

I've tried both the "essential" and the "all" packs.  Neither made any
difference.

> The livna mplayer install creates the /usr/lib/win32 but it's empty
> and that's the problem because that's where mplayer looks for the
> WMV codecs. So you can either create a symbolic link as one of the
> earlier posters described, or least copy the windows related
> codecs, the ones that start with "wm" to /usr/lib/win32.
>
> A somewhat cleaner alternative is to grab the Xine windows codec
> package which comes in a nice rpm,
>
> If you scroll down to the bottom of the Xine downloads page,
>
> http://xinehq.de/index.php/releases
>
> and click on the link cambuca...
>
> and scroll to the bottom of that page, you can get the w32codec
> package
>
> http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/w32codec-0.52-1.i386.rpm
>
> If you are unfamiliar with installing rpms, you can install it like
> this (as root):
>
> rpm -ivh w32codec-0.52-1.i386.rpm
>
> which will populate the /usr/lib/win32 directory with the codecs
> you need.
>
> I installed the w32codec package on my other PC and then I could
> see and hear the CNN video with Firefox and the mplayerplug-in.
> Firefox still hangs after playing the video but at least you can
> watch the video now.

I had no success installing the codecs packages from livna when I
tried.  However, I *did* get the w32codec package from atrpms and that
didn't help any.  I tried downloading the package from the xine site.
This was older than the atrpms package that I got, but I removed the
newer package and installed the older package, just in case it would
work.  No luck.

So I'm still at square 1 1/2.  But thanks for trying!  :-)

Regards,

Colleen