Can't Configure System Settings Anymore

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Sat Jul 9 22:29:51 UTC 2005

Amadeus W. M. wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 17:34:52 -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:

>> ...<snip>
>>Out of curiosity, why would it allow me to configure anything from the
>>shell, and the gui tools won't save properly? If I were doing a bad thing,
>>I'd be doing it either way.

Not necessarily. From the command line, you're talking directly to the
files in question.  From the GUI, you're only talking to the GUI and
depending on the GUI to pass along your inputs to _all_ of the relevant
files and then depending on the SAVE button on the GUI to save all of
those files' changes.  GUIs can be simple or complex to write because of
the need for all those callbacks to work correctly.  Almost always, the
GUIs do a fine job, because the GUI writers work very hard to get the
GUIs right.  However, s*t happens, and sometimes (rarely) a GUI will
miss something.

Eric Hines

--
He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man
I ever met.