How to update RPM's from ISO images after hard driveinstallation

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Sun Jul 10 17:30:32 UTC 2005

Peter De Jager wrote:

>> <snip>
>
>I will have a look at yum (like most other Linux things it's new to me), but
>would it not be quicker to install off CD rather than downloading? I also
>have a 3GB monthly cap on my DSL line (life in Africa) so I need to preserve
>bandwidth. But again, I will do "man yum" and see where it takes me. Thanks.

"Quicker" depends on when you start your clock.  If you define the time
required as beginning with the start of acquisition of the file, then
downloading and installing is far quicker than ordering the CD, awaiting
its arrival, and then installing off that.  Of course your bandwidth cap
needs to be considered, too.

>I have already tried to mount my iso images using loopback and it does work
>(as in, it does mount), but it still does not solve my problem. E.g. once an
>ISO is mounted and available, when I install an RPM the installer still asks
>me for a CD (e.g. Disc 3) and there is still no option to browse to the
>mounted ISO image (without inserting a physical CD I cannot proceed). So
>what I need to know is how to point Linux to a location where the
>installation files (or ISO's) are stored so that I do not get prompted to
>insert CD's. Is there a config file somewhere that I need to edit?

Have you tried simply selecting CONTINUE--or is that option not
available until you name a source?  Often CONTINUEing in response to
being asked for a CD, when your data are on the HD, works.

--
He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man
I ever met.