FC4 Sluggishness on a 466 MHz Celeron

Sorry if I'm recovering old ground, but Googling didn't turn up anything
on FC4 slowness.  I'm using a 466 MHz Celeron HP Pavilion with an 8GB
drive and an Intel 810 onboard video.

FC2 amazed me with speed, and this old box greatly outperformed the new
PC with Win-XP.

FC3 would install in text mode, but the computer wouldn't boot.

FC4 installed ran easily enough, but it makes this computer almost as
slow as when it had Win-98.  What am I doing wrong in the setup?  I need
to revisit Thunderbird setup, since downloading e-mails has gotten to be
slower than I have ever experienced.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
stan