FC3 : help, i broke my yum.

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Mon Jul 11 18:13:25 UTC 2005

I've ended up with a yum problem on a FC3 machine and am curious if
there is a way to fix it.

1) I've used rsync to create a local repository on my filesystem. This
seems fine. This is in preparation for lan-based updates.

2) Earlier in the week, before the rsync, I was running out of drive
space, and in a hurry, I deleted /var/cache/yum.

3) Now I have in my /etc/yum.conf :

# cat /etc/yum.conf
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=fedora-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
retries=10

[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
baseurl=file:///space/mirror/fc/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/

[extras]
name=Fedora Extras - $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=file:///space/mirror/fc/extras/$releasever/$basearch/

4) When I ran "yum update" the first time, it gave a backtrace into
python, and then I remembered I had deleted the var/cache/yum
directory...oops.

5) Running "yum update" again took a little while, but it ran. However,
the final line of output is :

  No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion

...which I don't think is correct, since I can see newer packages in the
rsync repo (and the /var/log/yum.log shows the last update was June 8th.)

"yum install" is working properly, just no updates.

Changing the baseurl's to http://some-net-repo yields the same result;
install of a package is okay, but no update/obsoletions are detected.

Any ideas on how to correct this? Yum does not seem to be able to detect
the presence of the newer packages anymore.

TIA,
SW