FC2: Multiple entries in fstab for same device

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 12 14:34:28 UTC 2005

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> Mike McCarty wrote:

[that his USB disc drive is mounted as "usb (2)"]
[and sometimes is /dev/sda1 sometimes /dev/sde1]

> Mike,
>     Just a shot in the dark here, you *do* umount the stick before
> removing it, right?   Just a thought!

It is a hard drive. I always umount before removing it (which is only
when going down,
anyway.)

I had this problem from the first time I installed the disc.
My first mount worked with it as one of the devices, my second
mount failed, and it took a while to find out why.

Anyway, failing to umount would just result in a corrupted
drive, not change its type.

Mike