labeling a swap partition

Eric Wagar eric at deadhookers.org
Tue Jul 12 18:42:00 UTC 2005

T. Horsnell wrote:
>>I see that officially, e2label can not label a swap partition.  So, I am
>>confused by what I see in my fstab:
>>LABEL=SWAP-i2o/hda3     swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
>>
>>I have an Adaptec 2010S ZCR card that likes to play with my mind, so I
>>have found that using labels on my partitions lets me win the game with
>>the ZCR card.
>>
>>The above entry from the fstab is from a fresh install of FC3.  If
>>e2label doesn't label swap partitions, how did the above entry occur?
>>And, how can I guarantee that my the swap I want used is the one that
>>will be used?
>>

>See 'man mkswap'
I think I am missing something, I don't see anything about the above
type of labels in the mkswap man page.  I tried-changing
LABEL=SWAP-i2o/hda3 to LABEL=SWAP-i2o/hdb3, and the subsequent swapon failed
[root at sm init.d]# /sbin/mkswap -c -v1 /dev/i2o/hdb3
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 1612148 kB
[root at sm init.d]# /sbin/swapon -av
swapon on LABEL=SWAP-i2o/hdb3
swapon: cannot find the device for LABEL=SWAP-i2o/hdb3

Did I miss something in the man page?

eric