WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 19:56:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 14:14, beartooth wrote:

> >>The trick to avoiding problems with Fedora is to wait until towards
> >>the end of a version's life.  Not past the end - you want a version
> >>still being actively used, but you want to be able to immediately
> >>do a 'yum update' to pick up the fixes for the problems others have
> >>already experienced.  FC1 is too old since it is no longer being
> >>updated - if you find a new problem it won't be fixed, and FC4 is
> >>too new if you don't want to be involved in helping with the fixes.
> >>

> It's the approach I used to take as a total sub-technoid; and it was OK, I
> guess -- but I did twelve or fifteen installs on five machines over about
> three years, and all the keeping up got pretty old pretty fast.
>
> Then one of the first people I asked suggested the opposite tack: start a
> new release near the outset, and count on keeping it clear to legacy. So,
> like Øyvind Stegard in this thread, but with what must be far less
> expertise, I've now done upgrades from FC1, 2, and 3 -- and am glad, so
> far.

That's reasonable also if the machine isn't critical or if you already
have 'plan b' for what to do if some needed program doesn't work
or a device driver for your hardware is missing or fails.

> I do have a problem with one erstwhile FC1 machine, but that was my fault
> for doing something unusually stupid while reacting to a power failure
> that hit just as an install was finishing; it seems unrelated to Fedora,
> and I'll look for help elsewhere.

It's a good idea to learn how to save and reinstall your own files and
changes so instead of doing upgrades you can do clean installs of each
new version.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com