Installing on external USB hard drive

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 00:52:41 UTC 2005

On 7/12/05, Chris Hood <chris.hood at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok I have read all of the archive posts for this subject and it

I really doubt that.  The archive search utility is quite useless:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-June/msg02452.html

> doesn't look as if anyone knows how to do this, I have tried expert
> mode, I have tried loading the usb mass storage driver. I have even
> tried plugging in th device after initial install boot.

See the above, it basically "Just Worked" for me.  Sounds like you
have booted the install with "linux expert" as required, that is good.
 That should allow you to install to the USB drive.

> Needless to say I have been unsucessful in all attempts. I have tried
> with FC4, and RHEL 3 to no avail.
>
> I HAVE however read plenty of posts on other forums where people say
> "I have redhat running on my external usb hdd" , however none of them
> give any clues how they got it installed.
>
> Basically FC4 only sees the internal SATA drive and not the USB drive,
> and RHEL 3 , doesn't see ANY drives.

Hmm, you have an internal SATA drive?  That might complicate things.
What do you mean by "sees"?  Are you saying that DiskDruid doesn't
show your device?  What about fdisk?  Do you have a currently running
system that you could test and see if you can mount the USB drive in
Linux?  Can you mount it?

> SO has ANYONE got ANY linux installed and running on an external USB Hard Drive.

Yes, see the above email.  If something doesn't work for you or
something is unclear, let us know.  Please be specific.

> The drive I have is a toshiba laptop drive in a USB enclosure.

Jonathan