WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 15:58:40 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 08:42, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> > Perhaps one of the key issues here backup your data, DO A CLEAN INSTALL.
>
> You seem to me to be somewhat lacking in imagination.
> "I have never had a crash in my car. KEEP YOUR CAR CLEAN."

It's more like "KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD"...

> Consider the possibility that an installation might not work on machine X,
> but an upgrade might.

Then you've created a totally unique situation where the reason it works
at all is likely because you have bits and pieces of some unrelated
version still running.  That might work for you, but if you have
problems no one else will understand them or be able to help.

> Also consider the possibility that it might make more sense
> to keep /home on a separate partition, and leave this alone even if
> installing.

That's a reasonable approach, as is backing it up and restoring. You
probably want the backup anyway in case you make a mistake involving
the partitions.

> > I simply do not have the issues
> >   that I see people complaining about here.
>
> Consider the possibility that this is
> because you are using a different computer.

Historically, Linux kernels have solved most of their hardware issues
somewhere around X.X.20.  If don't use anything unusual you might not
notice this.  I see that firewire might be fixed in 2.6.12...

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com