PVR and Fedora

Matthew Lenz matthew at nocturnal.org
Wed Jul 13 18:45:24 UTC 2005

I'm going to make a blanket statement and say that you need your cable
box.  Unless some pc card manuf. is making a video capture board that
supports DTV or has a slot for a cable card, which I don't believe is
the case.

here are the possible scenarios.

1. cable/satellite box -> rca/svideo -> capture card in computer
2. cable/satellite box -> firewire -> firewire card in computer
4. cable from wall -> dtv/cable card capable capture card in computer

AFAIK #1 is the most common.  #2 is rare.  #3 doesn't exist yet (there
are capture cards that support unencrypted QAM signals but most cable
companies encrypt digital tv)

So in short, yes you probably need your cable box and yes it will need
to be tuned to a specific channel to record.  Some cable/satellite boxes
support serial interfaces for channel changing which make them more
reliable than IR blasters.

arcives.