mounting ntfs partition on dual boot

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Jul 14 01:18:12 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 22:51 -0400, Bob Hartung wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>   What is the procedure to mount an ntfs partition on a dual boot
>>laptop.  I tried
>>              mount -t ntfs /dev/hda4 /mnt/win
>>to no avail.  I suspect that I will have to recompile the kernel with
>>ntfs support but is that the only (& very painful) way when all I want
>>to do us salvage some of my son's files before blowing the entire HD
>>away and reinstalling FC3.
>>

>http://www.fedorafaq.org/#ntfs
>

>>   I have FC4 installed and running without a hitch but will downgrade
>>to FC3 due in part to all the problems discussed on the list.
>>

>You're going to downgrade a system you're not having problems with
>because other people are having problems? Why?
>
>Paul.

I was wondering this myself. Most of the problems seem to have remedies
that are not too complicated. Also, FC3 is still supported, but things
were tough when FC3 came out also. FC4 is current and most comments
center on FC4.

To get back on topic, adding the ntfs module for the current kernel is
easier than compiling the entire kernel for this feature. This is
especially true since the goal is to ditch the ntfs partition entirely.

Another alternative would be to save the desired files to CDROM. Both
installations can deal with these files n that way. You wil also have
backups of these important files for future use. If there is a large
amount of files that are desired, then use DVDs or backup to tape.

mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/win should work as long as you created directory
called win  for the mountpoint under /mnt. The -t ntfs option should be
wise to use also for filetype compare to auto selection.

I recently compiled a kernel and included ntfs and it worked with just
issuing mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/ntfs for my ntfs directory located under /mnt.

Jim