Apache Problems in Fedora Core 4

Rashan Jibowu rashanjibowu at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 02:26:49 UTC 2005

wrote:
> > Ok, logging in to root solved the error. Now that
php
> > is uninstalled (it's depencies remain... should I
> > remove these too?), I still cannot start the httpd
> > service, nor does it start when my computer starts
up.
> > In fact, httpd is the only service that fails at
start
> > up. How can I fix this?
>
> >> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> First fix your broken RPM database (caused by using
--nodeps) by
either
> reinstalling php or removing the dependent packages.
>
> Then try restarting httpd and look in any log files
in /var/log/httpd
> that have been written to since you tried to start
httpd (use "ls
> -lrt /var/log/httpd" to get a list of files sorted
such that the
> last-modified one is at the end of the list).
>
> P.S. Please do not top-post on this mailing list:

> Paul.
> --
> Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
>
> It sounds like uninstalling PHP was a bad idea so I
reinstalled.

Good.

> Since I am
> still having troubles starting the httpd service I
have copied the
error log in
> /var/log/httpd/error_log (most recent error log)
>
> I have no idea what any of this stuff means, but
hopefully this will
be helpful
> in diagnosing the problem. Also, the most recent
error is at the
bottom of this
> list. Thanks.
>
> [root at computer ~]# cat /var/log/httpd
> cat: /var/log/httpd: Is a directory
> [root at computer ~]# cat /var/log/httpd/error_log
> [Sun Jul 10 22:39:40 2005] [notice] core dump file
size limit raised
> 4294967295 bytes
> [Sun Jul 10 22:39:40 2005] [alert] (EAI 2)Name or
service not known:
> mod_unique_id: unable to find IPv4 address of
"computer"
> Configuration Failed

Looks like you've configured the httpd to call itself
"computer" (ServerName directive?) but that name does
not resolve. You
should use a real name that resolves to at least one
of your computer's
IP addresses.

Adding "computer" to the end of the /etc/hosts entry
for your machine
may be enough to get you going for now.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>

=========================
I have been having trouble changing the directive
because I cannot find the httpd.conf file. I though it
would be in /usr/local/etc/httpd/httpd.conf, however,
while logged in as root, the httpd directory seems not
to exist. Since I know httpd is installed, I think I'm
looking in the wrong place. Can someone point me in
the right direction?

Also I was just reading this book on Apache (O'Reilly)
and it mentioned something about how the Linux version
of Apache has only the httpd module and no other DSOs.
Could this be part of my problem?