WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Jul 14 03:27:07 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:

> I'm not being dogmatic about it being better, I'm being dogmatic
> about no one else being able to help with additional problems
> on an upgraded machine because no one will know which bits are
> left over from the previous version.

You seem to misunderstand.
I'm not asking for your (or anyone's) help.
This particular machine - with an Asus P2B-LS motherboard -
has been running without any problems, 24/7, for 5 or 6 years.
[Well, the disk seemed sick once, so I changed it.]

I'm simply pointing out that this machine _does not boot_
if I do a clean install.
I hope I have explained the exact reason for this,
namely, mkinitrd does not install the correct SCSI driver.

My deduction from this is that it is not true
that a clean installation is _always_ better than an upgrade.
Something that does not work cannot be better than something that does.

> Some bugs aren't found until someone tries the combination of things
> that the program gets wrong.  Reporting your lspci output and the
> module that is wrongly installed is probably the best you can do
> along with using whatever means you can to work around the bug.

Sigh.
The machine does not run if I do a clean install,
so I cannot "report my lspci output".
The machine runs perfectly when I compile the kernel
(with scsi compiled in it rather than a module)
so there is no point in reporting my lspci output.

But here it is if you want to see it.

[tim at alfred ~]$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host
bridge (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge
(rev 03)
00:04.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:04.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:04.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:04.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
00:06.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-2940U2/U2W / 7890/7891
00:07.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100]
(rev 05)
00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
00:0a.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video
Capture (rev 02)
00:0a.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture
(rev 02)
00:0b.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC card Cardbus Controller
(rev 01)
00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Platform Technologies, Inc. AGOGO sound
chip (aka ESS Maestro 1) (rev 10)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV5 [RIVA TNT2/TNT2
Pro] (rev 11)

Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366