Re: SElinux and squirrelmail (write access denied to a file with 777 permissions)

It would then allow httpd to write to the file.

httpd is allowed to write to httpd_squirrelmail_t files not to
usr_t files.

So in case one day I decide to get rid of squirrelmail, how do I undo
this?

You don't need to. If you get rid of squirrelmail (by removing the package), you'll have got rid of everything affected by this change.

Changing the context of files is similar to changing their permissions;
removing a file will remove any trace of changes you made to its
permissions/context.

Paul.

After applying chcon -t httpd_squirrelmail_t /usr/share/squirrelmail/ config/conf.php apache was allowed to write to the file. I found out that if you rename the file and then rename it back to what it was before, the changes go back to the original setting the file had which is usr_t.
Thank you both for your help
EJ