Send email attachment using a shell script

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Thu Jul 14 15:06:08 UTC 2005

On Thursday, Jul 14th 2005 at 13:09 +0300, quoth Hany Nagaty:

=>Hi all,
=>
=>I'd like to send an email containing an attachmnet using a script.
=>I've tried the mail command (in the mailx package), but I don't know
=>how can I use it to send an attachment.
=>
=>So, is there a way I can use mail to send an attachment, or is there
=>other utility to do the job.

The mail command is not attachment aware. Use mutt or pine. Pine actually
can be used from the commandline and there's a -attach option and a
-attachfile option.

steveo at syslang.net