WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jul 14 18:26:32 UTC 2005

On Thursday 14 July 2005 11:54, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> FC4 looked pretty good, till I turned yum loose to update it,
>> useing only the contents of /etc/yum.repo.d as just installed.
>> And yum proved once more that it exists only to commit hari-kari.
>> Only this time it took the whole, freshly installed & apparently
>> 100% working, system down with it.
>
>Sorry to be sceptical,
>but I'm not convinced there is anything wrong with yum.
>
>I don't know how others read it, but to me
>you seem to have your own way of doing everything,
>and appear to be willing to re-install yet again at the drop of a
> hat without trying to work out what went wrong.
>
>Eg you said that "FC4 looked pretty good",
>but you also said you had apparently insoluble problems with X.
>So which is it?

Oh it looked pretty good, in 800x600, which to me is pretty gross
resolution.  This screen on this box is running at 1600x1200.

>Was FC4 working OK until you said "yum update"?

As much as I tested seemed to work.

>I must say I have never had a problem
>where yum did something it should not have done,

I've had the FC2 version of yum commit hari-kari 4 times now on a
system upgraded to FC2, each and everytime it was by replaceing the
distribution version of libxml2 with a newer one, which promptly
broke python when it tries to import, due to unresolved references
such as this one:

# yum check-update
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
    import yummain
  File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 31, in ?
    import yumcomps
  File "/usr/share/yum/yumcomps.py", line 4, in ?
    import comps
  File "/usr/share/yum/comps.py", line 5, in ?
    import libxml2
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 1, in ?
    import libxml2mod
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined
symbol: xmlNewDocPI

I rest my case.  I can fix it by going back to the distro cd's and
forceably reinstalling all the libxml2 stuff.

>though I've had several problems where it refused to update,
>the error in most cases turning out to be mine,
>though sometimes there were problems at the repositories.
>[I'm not entirely sure if the default repositories,
>as installed by FC-4, _are_ correct.]

At this point neither am I.  The base repos are disabled and a round
robin mirror lookup is used instead.

>From my experience, you need to be sure
>that no non-standard repositories (such as livna, dag, fedora-devel,
>fedora-updates-testing, etc) are enabled.
>And it may be worth seeing that /etc/fedora-release does say
>"Fedora Core 4".

A bit difficult to check when after the update, it won't even boot.
See my message in the thread from hell everyone wants to kill.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)