RAID-1 boot partition and FC2->FC4 upgrade

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Jul 15 10:11:35 UTC 2005

Jack Howarth wrote:
>     I assume you upgraded a system to FC4 with a RAID-1 boot
> partition, right? I am still unclear on is what to do in
> the step where anaconda wants to upgrade the boot loader...
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc4/ch04s02.html
>
> On my FC2 box, the FC4 installer claims that no suitable boot loader
> could be found to be upgraded so that the "Update boot loader configuration"
> item is dimmed. I can only "Skip boot loader updating" or
> "Create a new boot loader configuration". Skipping seems unreasonable
> since I won't be able to boot into FC4.

Not necessarily. If you're doing an upgrade from FC2, what you'll be
left with is the FC2 version of grub, but it should still be configured
to boot the FC4 kernel because the editing of grub.conf is done by the
post-install script for the kernel package (i.e. already done by this
point). So it should only be an issue if the FC2 version of grub can't
boot FC4 kernels for some reason. This stage of anaconda is only trying
to update the grub installation itself, not the configuration of grub.

 > That leaves creating a new
> boot loader configuration. I didn't try that yet but I would hope
> I could select the /dev/md0 partition which has the boot loader
> currently on it.

As far as I know, grub still doesn't understand md partitions and has to
use the underlying hd/sd partitions instead.

Paul.