Fedora support for Adaptec SATA II Raid Controller - 1420SA

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Fri Jul 15 12:36:58 UTC 2005

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Either fork $300+ for decent real hardware RAID, or forget about it and
> use generic Linux software RAID driver with whatever controllers/disks
> you already got in your system.

One thing I forgot to mention...  Many real HW RAID cards have rather
old processors on them (like Intel's i960).  The processor on today's
average system is much faster than this.  This especially sucks with
RAID-5.  The newer 3ware cards have much newer and faster ASIC chips,
and don't suffer from this.  So basically, folks around here were giving
you a good advice to go with newer 3ware cards.