Updating with yum -- etc

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Fri Jul 15 16:55:03 UTC 2005

> Tim Holmes wrote:
> > I have built several servers using Fedora Core 3, and normally, I
use
> > yum to keep them up to date with no problems -- it works nicely,
> > however, I have one particular one which uses the newer version of
MySQL
> > -- 4.1xx
> >
> > When I run a yum update, yum wants to roll me back to version 3x,
which
> > is obviously not desirable.  Is this normal behavior, or am I doing
> > something wrong.  I would like to get everything up to date, so that
> > am not running the risk of security vulnerabilities.
>
> Did you install MySQL 4.x using rpms, and not using any daft options
> like --nodeps or --force? If so, yum should not be doing this.
>
> Can you report the output of:
> $ rpm -qa | grep -i mysql
> on this machine?
>
> Paul.

[Tim Holmes]

Hi Paul:

Thanks for your response

I just installed straight up from the rpms -- it went quite smoothly as
well - this was a fresh rebuild of the server

Here is the output of that command

[root at srvweb-01 ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i mysql
MySQL-client-4.1.12-1
MySQL-server-4.1.12-1
[root at srvweb-01 ~]#

Thanks a bunch