Core 4 Anaconda Problems

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Jul 16 03:41:12 UTC 2005

Rob Wright wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:30:52 -0400
>  <fedorarob at poncacity.net> wrote:
>
>> This happened to me with core 3, and now with core 4. I'm installing
>> along, fresh install completely. As soon as all the packages are
>> transferred from the CD, anaconda bails out with a list of gui.py
>> errors and tells me to reboot. Is anaconda damaged, or am I just
>> gonna have to stick with FC2? I realize the Fedora Core is a test
>> distro, but I can't test it if I can't even install it. I've burned a
>> fresh set of discs, twice, isos downloaded from two different
>> mirrors. My hardware is ok. If I install FC2 I get the exact same
>> problem with updating from the discs. I can use yum to update to Core
>> 4, but that is such a pain in the ass.
>>

> Just a little more information as I'm still working on this problem.
> I'm going through the suggestions that have been offered so far, but
> no luck.
>
> Going through a graphical install, the packages aren't actually
> "installed" it seems. The last line of the error that I'm getting is:
>
> RuntimError:/usr/sbin/kudzu cannot be run
>
> I booted into rescue off the cd and I was able to run kudzu-probe from
> there. I decided I'd try to install once more, using the noprobe and
> text options. It's copying files now, but there's a continously
> scrolling message on the screen:
>
> rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
>
> Which also happens in the background in a graphic install, but I don't
> see it until the aborted install forces the reboot and X closes.

I just did a search for "fatal region error detected" and most responses
referred to the rpm database being corrupted. If you are trying to
install, this sounds like it is not reading what was written to disks.
By your description, this seems to be the case.

WAG1:
Try linux selinux=0 as a boot option. (I have no idea if this is
preventing writing, but I disabled selinux on most development upgrades
for safety during package upgrading with development.
Try linux ide=nodma

To get away from the guessing, thee is some documentatio somewhere
forkernel options and what they do. Have you checked your hardware,
cabling, ran memtest at boot  ... ?

Sorry not much help on this problem.

Jim

I'm stumped with your problem

--
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they AREN'T after you.