Enabling flow control on Intel e1000

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Sat Jul 16 17:08:28 UTC 2005

I have a nice rack of servers to which I've recently added a gigabit
switch.  Flow control is enabled on the the relevant switch ports.
The servers with Tigon (tg3) Ethernet automatically enable flow
control, but the servers with Intel e1000 Ethernet don't, and I
believe this is causing problems when doing things like UDP NFS
service to 100Mbit devices.  (Kickstart-over-NFS is terribly slow, for
example.)

Is there a reason that e1000 doesn't enable flow control when the
switch advertises it as the tg3 driver does?  Is there any way to
force it to negotiate flow control with the switch?

 - J<