WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) dave at davenjudy.org
Sat Jul 16 19:05:56 UTC 2005

Not sure what all of the fuss is about.  I just had an *absolutely
clean* upgrade from FC3 to FC4.  I would consider the box to be somewhat
middle of the road on the generic to exotic scale:

[dave at bend ~]# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-760 MP [IGD4-2P]
System Controller (rev 20)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-760 MP [IGD4-2P]
AGP Bridge
00:07.0 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-768 [Opus] ISA (rev 05)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-768 [Opus] IDE
(rev 04)
00:07.3 Bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-768 [Opus] ACPI (rev 03)
00:10.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-768 [Opus] PCI (rev 05)
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV20 [GeForce3 Ti
200] (rev a3)
02:00.0 USB Controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-768 [Opus] USB
(rev 07)
02:04.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20269
(rev 02)
02:05.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-2940U2/U2W
02:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)
02:08.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado]
(rev 78)

but, since its a dualie:

[dave at bend ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) MP 2400+
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 2000.349
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 3956.73

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6

I'll post a follow-up if I run across anything not working.

Cheers,
Dave

At 1:32 PM +0100 7/16/05, Timothy Murphy wrote:

>>You must have lots of spare time on your hands.

Or maybe he does this to save time.  It's only a few extra commands to a
*nix expert (though I'd need time to figure it out):  tar, mkdir, tar, and
diff.  Should be faster than troubleshooting it instead.