Did I make a mistake in starting with Fedora Core 4?

Dave Gutteridge dave at tokyocomedy.com
Sun Jul 17 10:08:20 UTC 2005

Terry, Tony, Mike,
    Thank you for responding.
    I was a little surprised when Mike said each release should be
considered independant of the others. I mean, if you say so, I believe
you, it's just that it seems so counter intuitive. If they are different
entities with more or less success on different hardware configurations,
shouldn't they be labelled something that seperates them, not something
that makes them a sequence? From looking at the web site, it was easy to
get the impression that FC4 follows FC3 and is intended to replace it.

    Unfortunately, I am not, as Tony asks, doing okay with FC4, which is
why I asked. I am having problems reading from my DVD/CD drives (an
issue I am pursuing in another thread). Not to mention not being about
to get my Wacom tablet to work. These experience, plus seeing other
people on this list raise concerns about the use of FC4 was what
motivated me to start this thread.

    I'm a little caught. It's just functional enough that I don't really
want to do any more reinstalls or switch to FC3. But it's also giving me
just enough trouble to make me have to keep going back to my Windows
partition to get certain tasks done. Anytime I want to copy files from a
DVD or CD-ROM, I have to go to Windows, copy it to that drive, and then
reboot into Linux and copy the data over from the NTFS partition. That's
obviously far from ideal.

    It was largely for philosophical reasons that I moved away from
Windows, but I'm wondering if my jump was premature. Maybe it's true, as
I've often heard, that Linux (or at least Fedora) isn't quite "ready for
prime time".

Dave