Why use "su -" rather than "su"

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jul 18 06:42:19 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 19:15 -0500, John Bray wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 12:55 -0400, Steven C. Liu wrote:
> > Any idea what is causing this?  I use gnome, and I think it's gdm.conf.  I
> > also tried editing /etc/profile by using pathmunge() on /usr/local/bin and
> > /usr/local/sbin with $2 = "after", and it did not work (after sourcing
> > /etc/profile).  Oddly - that should have worked for that root shell I was
> > using.  (I'm logged in as root.)
> >
> > I have not yet edit the gdm.conf file because I don't yet wish to restart my
> > GUI environment.
> >
> > Steve

Look in /etc/profile.  That is where the default path is munged and the
sbin directories are added for root and the /usr/X11R6/bin is added for
all users.  The sequence there puts /usr/local/sbin as the first in the
path for root.

This is not the only place PATH is set, but I can't find the rest of it
right now except for $HOME/.bash_profile