FC4 graphical installation problem

Mariano Lopez Reta mlreta at datafull.com
Mon Jul 18 19:05:47 UTC 2005

James Kosin wrote:

> | I'm having problems installing FC4 on an Intel 7221BK1-E
> | motherboard. If I try to install from the FC4 CD, it panics
> | immediately after loading vmlinuz and init, so I used the "trick"
> | from http://www.ulkuderner.net that involves using another CD until
> | it asks for "where to load", and then switching to FC4 CD. Only
> | problem is that video is recognized as VESA generic, and the xserver
> | does not work (it starts correctly, but no video is shown). If I use
> | Red Hat Enterprise 4, it works. Problem is that I need graphical
> | installation on FC4 to create logical volumes and RAID 1 partitions
> | (no logical volumes can be created under text installation). I tried
> | with noprobe and resolution=640x480, but to no avail. Any suggestions?
> |
> If you are using an AGP video card, try a PCI card.
>
> I had problems with my Tyan Tiger-133 VIA motherboard and have
> actually found it may be a problem with the AGP interface.
> I'd love to have a good AGP card that works one day!
> I've tried Nvidia cards also with no luck.
> Newer AGP cards tend not to work at all with my motherboard.
>
> James Kosin

James, thanks for your answer.

Well, I should have said that. I'm not using any card. Just the video
onboard (seems to be Intel 7221). The Anaconda installer does not
recognize it as such (it sees VESA generic, as I said).

Any other suggestions, anyone?

--
Mariano López Reta
Tortuguitas, Buenos Aires